The Perfect Matcha Cake: A Recipe for Tranquility
Matcha, the finely ground green tea powder, is not only a staple in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies, but also a beloved ingredient in various desserts around the world. From its vibrant green hue to its rich, earthy flavour, matcha is a star ingredient that transforms any dessert into a work of art, and this Matcha Cake recipe is no exception. It’s simple, delightful, and a perfect companion for your tea or coffee.
A Taste of Tradition
Matcha, which means 'powdered tea', is revered for its deep connection to meditation and mindfulness in Japanese culture. When you eat this cake, you are not just enjoying a dessert—you are partaking in a cultural experience that spans centuries. Every bite offers a rich, earthy green tea flavour that's both comforting and invigorating.
A Cake for Every Occasion
Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or just looking for a daily dose of serenity, this Matcha Cake is a versatile choice. It's elegant enough for a sophisticated gathering and simple enough for a casual afternoon snack.
Easy Steps for a Perfect Cake
Follow the detailed steps in the recipe, from preheating your oven and preparing your cake mould, to the perfect whisking technique. Each step is designed to make this process a breeze, even for beginners in the kitchen.
A Unique Finish: The Glossy Brush
One distinctive step in this recipe is brushing the cake with melted butter after baking. This final touch adds a subtle gloss to the cake’s surface, enhancing its aesthetic appeal and adding a rich depth to its flavour.
Serve your matcha cake with a dusting of icing sugar, a dollop of whipped cream, or simply on its own. Its rich flavour pairs wonderfully with a cup of hot green tea or a cold glass of milk.
A Gift of Gratitude
This cake also makes a wonderful gift. Wrap it in parchment paper tied with a string for a rustic look, or place it in a decorative box for a more elegant presentation. It’s a small gesture that speaks volumes, saying, “Thank you”, “I appreciate you”, or “Let’s enjoy this moment together”
This Matcha Cake is more than just a dessert; it’s a slice of tranquility and a nod to a time-honoured tradition. It invites you to slow down and savour each bite mindfully. It’s not just about eating; it’s about experiencing—and this cake offers an experience that’s as rich and deep as its beautiful green colour.
• 150g All-Purpose Flour
• 120g Fine Sugar
• 10g Matcha Powder
• 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
• 1/4 tsp. Salt
• 50g Oil
• 70g Milk
• 2 Eggs
1. Grease a mould (dimensions 20cm x 10cm x 6.5cm) with butter.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, matcha powder, baking powder, and salt) together using a hand whisk.
3. Add the oil, milk and egg to the flour mixture. Use a hand whisk to mix everything together until just combined.
4. Now use a hand mixer and beat the batter on high speed for 1 minute to incorporate air and ensure a smooth batter.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared mould. Tap the pan gently on the counter to release any large air bubbles.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (356°F) for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. After this, turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Optional: For a glossy finish, brush the top of the cake with some melted butter.
Serve and enjoy your green tea (matcha) cake!